30 March 2009

Fishing in Kaikoura

This morning I went on an adventure at sea with Owen. We took out the little boat which belongs to his parents and went fishing.


There were a couple of albatros keeping us company and eating all the undersized fish we threw back. I was quite glad that they were occupied with the fish because they have a two metre wing span, a bill nearly as long as my hand, and didn't look like they could be trusted.

 

On the way to new fishing grounds we came across a seal sunning itself on the surface. Shortly after that I was ready to head back to shore since the rolling waves were starting to get to me. But I still managed to catch the biggest fish!

4 comments:

  1. That looks so amazing!

    And I can't help but thing the birdies are adorable even though that one on the left is looking pretty fierce/evil.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh. Wonderful!

    I think it would be weird NOT to be afraid of a bird that size, honestly. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. That picture make the albatrosses look small, but I know they're huge. They scare me when they're close.

    That seal is SO cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:57 am

    Oh my gosh! How beautiful! That water looks so clean and blue! And, how lucky are you to catch a glimpse of that seal?!

    ReplyDelete