10 October 2011

Our Little Farm

Tucked away in our backyard, in the corner behind the garage and hidden by a fence...


...is our little farm. Or the beginnings of one anyway! Owen and I (with some help from the chickens) spent a few hours this weekend preparing the garden for planting.


We were lucky when we first bought our house that there was a raised vegetable garden and a small chicken coop, so everything was ready for my urban homestead dreams! After an unfortunate incident last spring, I decided to let the chickens have the run of the garden instead of the back yard (the coop is too small to keep them in all the time). Of course they totally destroyed the garden, but this year we've blocked off all escape routes and have plans to extend the coop, so the chickens will be better contained and the garden will be safe!

I want an organic garden, so I've been reading up on companion planting and have made a plan which will hopefully keep all the plants happy:


Any tips or words of advice from some more experienced gardners? Any suggestions are most appreciated!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:41 pm

    I stumbled upon your blog,while trying to find pictures of rooms painted in half spanish white,your finished rooms look very nice, plus I looked at your blogg of course, you look like your into a bit of everything! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, I am into a lot of different things! I can't take credit for those rooms though, ours doesn't look like that yet but hopefully will some time soon :)

    ReplyDelete