06 February 2012

My Goals Journal

I always find setting lots of goals is fun. I love dreaming and thinking of possibilities and adventures. What's even more fun is making progress on goals, although sometimes it can be a bit hard to keep track of the many things I've decided I want to do.

This year I wanted a new system to record my progress and work out what to focus on next, so I've started a goals journal. It combines a little bit of scrap booking, a few check boxes, and a lot of lists!


My sister gave me a couple of notebooks for Xmas so I'm using one of them. It's a nice compact size but with enough space for a bit of writing and pictures.



I started with a title page using some images and text I'd gleaned from a magazine a while ago.



The next pages are dedicated to my word of the year (I first heard about this practice here) and this year I decided to pick one I thought would challenge me a little!



Next I made a list of all my goals for the year with boxes to check them off when they're complete. I've also got room to add a couple more goals if I feel like it...



My first goal is to visit three new countries, which should be happening in May and June. I've left some spaces to write down which countries we get to (our plan is Malaysia, Belgium and Greece) and also space to stick in a photo I've taken in each country.



I've left six page for my next goal since I'm planning to stick in tickets, photos etc from our date nights (those are movie tickets from Girl With the Dragon Tattoo).



This is the list of the tutorials and assignments I have to finish to complete the proofreading and editing course I started last year. I love being able to tick each one off as I finish them!



The first goal I've completed! Here are the full instructions for making vanilla essence. I'm going to take a photo of how it's looking at the start of the process, and then another once it's ready to use.



Inspired by this method, I started checking off my almost daily exercise in November last year. For the new year I decided to keep going with the same page, and I'm planning to stick it into my goals journal once I've crossed out every day. And then start on the next page!



To keep track of the new recipes I'm trying, I've decided to record the name, the book it's from, and I'm also giving it a star rating (out of five) to see whether it's worth making again.



I have a list of books I want to read as part of my Life List, but I've also written the list of what I want to get through this year so I can tick them off once I'm done. I'm reading Jane Eyre at the moment (along with a couple of other books not on my list).


The rest of the pages don't have anything to share at the moment (I'm not sure what I'm going to do with some of them!) but I'm planning a review of my goals journal at the end of the year to see how effective it's been.

8 comments:

  1. I love this idea! I'm also happy I have people like you to follow and inspire me to reach my own goals! I am having a Yogi tea right now, the message on this bag was "meditation will help you reach your potential" and I totally thought of you! Good luck with all your ambitions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your goals book! It's so organized, and that alone would inspire me to fill it up. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your idea. That is so cool. Sometimes I make my goals at the beginning of the year and don't check in often enough on them so this would be a great way to keep them in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you set this up. Seems so perfect to have all your goals and progress in one place! Also, what is the proofreading and editing course? Just curious because I love proofing/editing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks guys! I've been finding this a good way to stay on track and keep motivated.

    Molly, I'm doing the proofreading and editing course through a provider here in New Zealand. I'm planning on doing some freelancing in the future so I'm building up skills and experience at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your journal! Creative, and so organised! Lists are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this! I am doing something similar this year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea! I love journals, I love lists, this works for me! :D

    ReplyDelete