15 October 2012

My Piano Makeover

When I was 20 my parents gave me a piano for my birthday. Nearly one decade later and it was due for a bit of a makeover. It's moved around with me to five different houses (which was pretty hard work!), so some of the veneer was a little bit damaged and all in all it wasn't in the best condition...


It wasn't worth getting it professionally restored so I decided to take matters into my own hands and paint it. Painting a piano is usually frowned upon (it can majorly decrease the value) but since my piano is pretty old and far from a collector's piece I thought it would be worth it!


I didn't expect a flawless finish, and that coupled with my impatience meant that I didn't prep the surface at all. No sanding, no priming, I just grabbed a paint brush and some black paint and got to work. Luckily it doesn't seem to have made a difference to the finish!

It was easiest to remove a lot of the panelling and then paint it separately, plus I got Owen to help me tape the keys to give them a bit of protection from my not-always-very-neat painting technique.


 I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, and best of all...


My piano students are going to love this!

4 comments:

  1. This is gorgeous! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm really pleased with the finished piano, it looks so much better.

      Delete
  2. That is ridiculously awesome. I bet your students WILL love that! :O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been lots of fun so far :)

      Delete